24 Things That Get Way More Fun When You Get Older!
1.Going to bed early. There is a magic hour called 10 p.m. Sometimes, if you play your cards right and get all your errands done and manage to dodge plans with friends, you can fall asleep in bed, on purpose, in your pajamas, at this time. And it is glorious.
2. Doing nothing. Remember those years when you'd get restless after 10 minutes of sitting there and beg your parents/friends to get up and go somewhere? Hahaha, yeahhhh. Those days are gone. And thank God.
3. Crossword puzzles. It's so satisfying when you have a vocabulary big enough to complete one! Or, uh, mostly complete one.
4. Shopping for stuff for the house. Did you just find a coupon for 20 percent off a new towel rack? This gives you an excuse to go buy a new hamper too, and you are going to savor this moment.
5. Shopping for work clothes. No more ill-fitting thrift store dress pants for you! You can put half of your adult paycheck towards a nice handbag. You can afford work attire that fits your actual personality, finally, and doesn't just say Generic Intern.
6. The Crate and Barrel Catalog. "Oooh, credenzas!" -Grown women.
7. Cleaning and living in said clean area. Because it feels so fresh and so clean clean to not be living in what is basically a giant stale garbage pizza crust.
8. Staying in. Go ahead. Rewatch Party Down while getting slizzard on a big glass of Alka Seltzer. We all know you just would have been bored if you’d gone to that party.
9. Hanging out with your family. This goes from being completely mortifying when you’re a teenager to the best time ever, especially when you convince your mom to have one beer and get tipsy with you. And your siblings are like built-in friends that you didn't even realize you had when you were younger.
10. Reading non-fiction. I knew I was an adult when I read an entire book on salt by myself and I liked it.
11. Naps. Recharging in the middle of the day suddenly becomes the most fantastic thing. (See also: "Disco naps," the ones you take before you go out at night.)
12. Baths. Like naps but in water and with candles, if you are in a Boyz II Men music video.
13. Having two glasses of wine and that's it. Because a hangover won't slow you down the next morning and you can be super productive.
14. Waking up early to get things done. You went to the gym, got coffee, went to Home Depot AND Target and it’s only 10:30 in the morning? You are crushing it today.
15. Doing (and shopping for) face masks. You used to be totally bored when your mom dragged you into Bath & Body Works to peruse the cucumber moisturizing masks. Now your weekly routine of slathering minerals and anti-aging stuff on your face is soothing and delightful.
16. Having meals alone. On Sunday I went to a super-trendy brunch place and had ricotta lemon pancakes while reading the original Sex And The City column collection and it was the best decision I have made in months.
17. Being outside. Fresh air, and pine needle smell, just like, generally.
18. Going to the beach. And being utterly confident in your swimsuit.
19. Sex. Because guys learn what they’re doing and you’re more confident.
20. Saving money. Overdrawing is NOT fun. You know what’s fun? Having a safety net.
21. Having people over. Your Kryptonite used to be overpriced, trendy restaurants followed by huge, crowded house parties. Now it’s planning a grown-ass three-course dinner party with a reasonable number of friends. And wine. In real wine glasses.
22. Vacations. Since you can go on nice, cushy ones now, rather than sharing a dumpster 3-bedroom with approximately 500 of your friends and sleeping on the floor.
23. Going to weddings. Because the wedding parties are made up of more and more of your BFFs, and not weird older relatives you don't really like.
24. Working. Because you've climbed the ranks from your former entry-level position and are high up on the ladder enough to feel fulfilled by your job.